If you experienced or witnessed a difficult, traumatic, or disappointing childbirth, you may need a birth story listening session. You may have had a birth experience that went as planned and you want to tell your birth story to a listener.
Why Birth Story Listening?
* For some, the event of birth itself is so physically and emotionally overwhelming, it has been difficult to process.
* You are experiencing postpartum depression or anxiety.
* Telling your story in a social setting has been a negative or discounting experience for you.
* You want someone to listen to help you process this important story.
* There were unexpected/unwanted medical interventions.
* You are preparing for a second birth and are still struggling with experiences from your first birth.
* You feel disappointed/traumatized about your birth experience.
* You had a transfer from a home birth to a hospital birth.
* The pain and intensity of birth was overwhelming and unexpected.
* You are experiencing symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
* You experienced birth shock (Pam England, 2007- Birth Shock)
* You were present at a birth and this experience is difficult for you in any way.
Birth story listening is a way to change the culture of the way we tell birth stories and the way we listen to birth stories....without judgement, without comparisons and with total compassion for the journey. When this happens, a shift in the way we view birth happens. A shift that does not vilify a medical system, person or place blame on self, but a shift that allows the person who is struggling to move forward into a new view of themselves as a mother, father or birth professional. A shift that allows people to notice things about the birth that helps move forward into a new territory of healing.
Birth Story Listening sessions are based on Pam England's work, creator of Birthing From Within, and Narrative Therapy. It can be helpful for any part of the birth experience or postpartum period that continues to affect you.
"After a birth, parents may initially feel grateful and accept what happened. However, weeks, months or even years later, they may find that doubts and negative feelings erupt. They may try to talk about it, to sort it out, but often can't find a sympathetic ear; or they may find someone to commiserate with, but shared anger and helplessness don't heal the emotional trauma (Birth Story Medicine, Aug. 2013)."
* A session (or more) will be focused on the birth you experienced as a mother or attended as a partner or birth professional.
* It is based on Narrative Therapy, Solution Focused Therapy and Birthing From Within teaching.
* It is a way to bring new meaning and or healing to what you experienced.
* Through our conversation you can move through something you feel stuck on or avoid thinking about because it is too painful.
* A different way to tell your story than you have told it in the past.
* Re-frames the birth experience.
To Setup an appointment or for more information, please complete the form below.
Birth Story Session Form
Your message has been received successfully and you will be contacted shortly!